Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A Mouse of a Tail...



This past week has been full of news for my area of the world...earlier in the week, Hurricane/Superstorm Sandy made landfall and, although we do not live along the Eastern coastline, we still felt the effects of strong winds and heavy rains; our power went out for several hours; work was a mad house; and it was announced that Disney bough LucasFilm for some $4+ billion...and that there will be another trilogy!!  When my husband told me the news about this Tuesday night, I pretty much said to him "good one honey...I don't believe that."  Sadly, I saw the news the next morning when I was able to log onto my Facebook and other Star Wars related sites...it was true, and I owed my husband a HUGE apology ;)  I was in total shock with the announcement...Lucas sold his "baby" to another franchise and there are going to be more Star Wars movies!! 

I remain torn in my thoughts of the news...even after a week since the announcement. I know that we fans have wanted more in terms of Star Wars movies and television shows.  I, like many, hope that Disney can do the movies justice and will maintain continuity with what is already out there.  Will the original trio return?  Apparently, Harrison Ford is considering returning.  I know that George Lucas had met with Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill back in August to let them know about his plans for selling LucasFilm.  Hopefully, the gang will be willing to get back together, if even for one movie.  I hope that the release of books and other media continues as it has, as these have been a source of entertainment and information for many of us...they keep the story going.  I know people who write fan fiction and produce fan movies...will they still be able to do these things?  Will there still be Celebrations and other events where Star Wars fans and celebrities make appearances?

 As a member of the Rebel Legion, I worry about how our relationship with Disney will be...will LucasFilm still have a say in the Legions' (Rebel and 501st) participation in events, or will Disney have the final say.  Will we be allowed to continue our charity work and will we still be allowed to make our costumes without fear of being pursued for copyright infringement?  I love what the Legion does and what it stands for...and I love bringing smiles to the faces of children whenever they see us at events.  We have been told that our operations will continue as usual, but I still worry about what will change as things are finalized between LucasFilm and Disney.

There are many questions that have yet to be answered in the past week, and lots of speculation on the next movie and about fan relations.  I am taking the watch and wait approach...with cautious optimism.  As a blogger and costumer, I do have my concerns...and I hope that they will be put at ease sooner rather than later.

Until more news on this comes out...May the Force Be With You All!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I really think that Disney can't mess up the new movies, because they will have all the fans to deal with if they do...
    And if they end the Legions, I will personally send them a letter telling them that they need to allow the costuming to continue....
    No more celebrations? I don't think that will happen, becuase Disney is already good w/ Disney World & Star Wars Weekends. Also, I heard they might open Star Wars theme parks or something... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disney has also bought Pixar, and great movies have been made since then. And Disney, to the best of my knowledge, has not made any legal action against people who dress up as Mickey Mouse or make drawings of him. So I think it'll be alright.

    Not to mention that Disney knows that there are a lot of SW fans, who in theory have the power to boycot any "wrong" move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree--if they "screw up" the new movies, they will have a LOT of fans to answer to ;) Also, with the Legions' working relationship with Disney already being established, it would really be against their best interest to send us "cease and disband" orders. Again, they will have a LOT of fans to answer to.

    And Dragon...you make excellent points. So far, those franchises that Disney has purchased have blossomed--from Pixar to Marvel, the movies that have been produced have been pretty good.

    It is still early in the game to make too many specuations. I do look foward to the future of Star Wars and what Disney has to offer the franchise. It is going to be an exciting time for fans as we discuss all of the possibilities that could be while we await the release of the new movie.

    ReplyDelete